The Start of a High Flying Scholar


Ever since I was eight years old, I knew exactly what I wanted to be. That was a Marine Biologist. I joined the King Conservation Science Scholars at Brookfield Zoo as soon as I entered high school. This caused a greater love for nature, better people skills, and a heart for conservation education. I even applied to be one of the teens in the High Flying Scholars Pilot group. The group would be flown to Sarasota FL to work on the longest running dolphin research project in the world. I thought for sure that I would not even be considered. A couple of weeks later, I received an email that I would have an interview. "I'll totally flunk it. Oh well. It'll be good practice for future interviews."

I wasn't nervous at all. I knew that if I didn't get in, it just wasn't what God planned for me. I sat in the lobby of the office building (a familiar place to me) and waited with another applicant. We laughed a bit and then silently waited. He was called in and I was left to wait all by myself.

About thirty minutes later, he came out with one of our supervisors. It was my turn. I walked in with confidence and took my seat. It was a panel style interview. Five interviewers and one applicant. It went better than I thought it would. I didn't make a fool of myself and fall off a chair or spill my water. Toward the end, I was asked if I had a role model. I could have said an easy answer. One that had zero chances of being judged. But I didn't. I said Ken Ham.

Weeks went by. I never heard a word from anyone. "I guess God just didn't have that in mind for me." That week I attended The Teen Conservation Leadership Conference. Right before the last session on the second day, I had a couple questions for one of my supervisors. Right after I was walking away, he said. "Oh, Katherine! By the way, you're in High Flyers. The official announcement email hasn't gone out yet, so don't tell too many people."

I was so excited! I immediately went to a quiet area of the college campus and dialed my mom. She didn't pick up the phone. I left a message. The next session was about to start and I didn't want to miss it.  So I sat next to one of my friends in silence.

I don't get super excited about much. Apparently I looked like a total puppy and "seemed irregularly excited." She gave me a funny look and that was it. I couldn't hold it any longer. I had to tell someone . "I GOT INTO HIGH FLYERS!" I squealed quietly. 

I can just imagine the stupid grin on my face. We had a few minutes to chat energetically before my mom called me back.

I'm not a person who cries much at all. But I have to be honest. I nearly did while I was on the phone with my mom. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have even applied. 

From there, I held in that secret from the beginning of July, until my birthday (July 19th). It was the perfect birthday present. Then all the training began.

Comments