Joni and Friends Family Retreat - Day Two

I know I said that I would try to blog all week. But I was busy having fun serving the families at Retreat! With the first week all finished, I finally have a little time to write over this weekend.

I only covered Sunday. It's Saturday now, so let's start with Monday.

Monday morning was the end of training, welcoming the families, and when the Short Term Missionaries (STMs) met their families. I cheered at the top of my lungs from 3 pm until 5:30 pm. Most of us wear costumes that reflect our theme in some way. This year's theme is One Way/Travel. So I welcomed the families by dressing as someone who travels the world in style!
Carmen San Diego!

Welcoming the families is one of the best parts! We cheer as they come in, help them get to their housing, and offer our joy and love.

This year I had been assigned to a little boy who has autism. It was the first time I had been assigned to a camper. I had been the "Sibling Wrangler" at the Urban Family Retreat last August. The moment came for the three STMs assigned to my guy's family to be "on deck." So we waited inside the door, holding our welcome signs that we had made the night before. As soon as they walked in, everyone cheered!

After the families were settled into their rooms, dinner was served. The first meal with my family was good.

Then came the welcome ceremony. All the STMs say with their families at first. Then came the music. We all stormed the stage and we sang and danced. All of the smiles.

After the ceremony was over, we had an ice cream social to get to know the families better. I learned very quickly how quickly my camper can snatch up things he wants to eat (usually something he can't). He grabbed a handful of ice cream right as we were getting ready for a picture of my family and their STMs. So now I have a picture of him with his hand COVERED in vanilla soft serve, and mom holding him.

I also found that he is a runner. I was chasing after my buddy most of that night. It was so much fun! I fell in love with that kid immediately. I am definitely glad that I had been one of two STMs assigned to him. If I didn't have my friend, I probably would have been a bit overwhelmed. I am so thankful for her!

After we said goodnight, the STMs had their debrief meeting. The first day with our families came to an end. 

Comments