Joni and Friends Family Retreat - Day One


Where do I even start? Today was the first day of Family Retreat for the Short Term Missionaries.

If you don't know what a Joni and Friends Family Retreat is, I encourage you to look into it! I went last summer and it changed my life! So much joy and love!

I got in very early this morning. Two in the morning kind of early. As soon as I got to my room, I just went to bed.

I had no clue what my room even looked like. When I woke up I found out my roommate and I had a balcony, a mini fridge, and our own bathroom.

First thing in the morning, I got dressed and headed downstairs for some liquid gold (aka coffee).  I had been told that returning to a Family Retreat is like a big family reunion. It is 100% true! Everyone remembers you and greets you like their family. So many hugs! Just like the year before, I had been welcomed warmly and was treated with Christ-like love. After a refreshing cup of joe, I headed over to the Returning STM orientation. After a few announcements, discussion, and prayer, we headed to training. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that it was informative and encouraging.

With training and dinner over, it was time to rehearse the welcome program. I am not a person who would normally sing and dance, but for a Family Retreat you check your dignity at the door. I am so pumped for the actual ceremony. Lots of singing, dancing, and genuine joy.

As soon as we were satisfied with our practice, we went and made signs to welcome the families with. There is just something special about seeing people of all ages making signs with all kinds of color, designs, and styles. All with one purpose. To make our families feel welcomed, loved, and wanted.

After we were done, I prepped my costume, finished settling in, and video chatted with my family back in Chicago. After I hung up with my family, I decided to sit on the balcony and listen to the rain. I came inside a little bit later to color and pray.

I cannot wait to see what the Lord has planned for me tomorrow. I get to meet my camper and his family, finish training, and hopefully get to know some new people.

Prayers would be greatly appreciated as I strive to be a light for these families, as the families are traveling to Muskegon tomorrow, and that hearts are filled with His love.

Blessings,
Katherine Simeon

Comments