Joni and Friends: Family Retreat - Day Three

Tuesday. The first full day I had with my camper, the first breakfast, the first round of programming, and a bunch more firsts!

My camper is non-verbal, which made it a little difficult to understand what he needed at first. During programming, he was so wonderful! Until it was music time anyway. He doesn't like a lot of loud noise. My partner and I spent quite a bit of time in the sensory room each day.

Dinnertime was interesting to say the least. My camper was hungry and a bit cranky. While I was sitting with him, the other two STMs and the family was getting their food. I kept telling him, "Mom is coming with you food soon." Mom didn't come back soon enough I guess. As one of the other moms were passing our table with her plate of food, the little guy tried to swipe the piece of chicken of of her plate. He didn't get a good grip and the freshly fried chicken was hurled at me. I got hot grease all over my arm. It didn't blister, but it hurt a lot! I cleaned up the mess and when the family came back I got my food.

After dinner that night, it was time for Carnival Night! Music, games, and inflatable structures! My camper spent a LOT of time in the bouncy house. Jumping and squealing, he smiled at us through the netting.

Then it got a bit rough again. He was a bit overwhelmed by all the noise and needed a break. My friend and I took him to the sensory room for a bit, and found his new favorite toy.

When all the fun was done, mom and dad took the three kids back to their housing. The STMs had their debrief, and I went to the Sweet Shoppe to hang out before bed. Shenanigans, laughing, and ice cream had been done, and I went to bed.

That night I prayed for better understanding of my camper, and strength for the next day. Because Wednesday was the night that all the parents have date night. Meaning the STMs would have dinner with their campers without the parents.

I knew that it could be a CRAZY night.

Comments