Joni & Friends Family Retreat - Urban

                        

    Just under a week ago, I posted a simple photo to my Instagram story. It was just a shot of a communion cup with my Joni & Friends bag in the background; along with the words "one last time before summer ends." I got back yesterday from my last JAF Retreat for the year. This particular retreat has a special place in my heart since it was my first ever retreat with JAF. This year, I was extra excited about going to my eighth retreat because something awesome was happening. My younger brother would be joining me for his first retreat. 

Training and Preparation



   This retreat is much smaller than the ones in Michigan. Meaning there are less STMs to help set up before the families arrived. During training, I ended up leading a group a couple times that day. In the morning, leading a tour around campus to show new STMs where thing would be happening. In the afternoon, I helped the a group through the empathy exercise since I had done it three times before. 

    Other than those two things, I wasn't in training at all. We had less hands setting up, so I offered mine to run around and do whatever leadership needed to get done. There was a lot of moving things around in the Sweet Shoppe, setting up the JAF book store, and running all over the campus. All of it while barefoot. 

    By the end of the first day, my brother had wondered where I had gone off to during training. I would be there a couple of minutes and then I would be gone for at least an hour. I was really only there when I was required or needed to be. Pretty much only when I was a group lead or when assignments were being revealed. 
 
    This year, I was placed to be with Bella! I had been able to hang out with her at the last Urban Retreat since she was on my "sibs list." I was only with her in the mornings that year, but this time I was able to hang out pretty much the whole week. 

The Families Arrivals

     Finally, it was time to get in costume so we could welcome the families in style. It was a hot and humid day, so in between welcoming families I retreated into the air conditioning. My costume had long sleeves and I was pretty warm. 

    We had a good majority of first time families this year and it was so cool to see them experience it for the first time. There were some returners too. It was so amazing to see them after two years of really not being able to see anybody. It was like a family reunion. The clapping, cheering, and waving always make me tear up a little bit. Since it was my brother's first time, I loved seeing the joy on his face. 

Programming Every Morning

      Just like at the past retreats, we had programming in the morning. We would play a circle "get to know me" game, practice the memory verse, worship, do a craft, play a game, then pray for lunch.

    Bella and I pretty much laughed the whole morning. It's same to say that we have a boatload of inside jokes now. It was always a pretty sweet time. The two of us have only one complaint. The chairs. The design was weird and there was some weird edges. So there was some thigh bruising risk. We just did not get along with chairs this week. 



The Little Moments

    There were some great moments. Screaming while we went tubing everyday; Bella looking away for a second, looking back, and seeing I was no longer on the tube; throwing marshmallows at my brother; nearly falling off the back of a couple golf carts. There were probably way too many.

    Tubing was a huge part of the week. First day, the ride was fairly calm and not too intense until I decided to let go and go for a swim. Second day, we went a little harder. Nice and fast, but not really flying (though a father came with us and aid we were too crazy for him 😂). Third and final day of tubing though? Absolute insanity. We went on three rides that went crazier and crazier. 



Square Dancing

      This retreat has a few different activities from the other three. Instead of having a kind of carnival, we do square dancing. Caller and all. First couple of dances, I partnered with my brother and our square comprised of some pretty awesome people. We caught on super fast and only had a couple "AHHHH" moments. That and we are pretty sure that the retreat director smacked my cowgirl hat off my head on purpose.


    The next few dances I danced with Bella. These were super eventful. It got really complicated and we had several miss steps and we both smacked into people for more than a few times.

    It was that evening that my brother said the two words I had hoped to hear from him all week long. Two words that brought joy to my heart as well as a fellow STM, the STM coordinator, the event coordinator, and the retreat director. "Next Year."



Talent Show & Bonfire

     This show was so fun. I sang, my brother sang and danced, and I cried watching other acts. It was beautiful. Towards the end, we sang a bit and did our JAF Chicago traditions, and eventually filed out.

    The bonfire was great since Bella had a ton of glow sticks and we had a good amount of laughing. It was the last night, so we hung out with a bunch of STMs in the Sweet Shoppe to just laugh, have some pop, and eat some candy. Oh, and I ate a subpar orange that was not really orange but yellow. No, it was not a lemon. Just a really sad orange.

Farewell For Now

    Closing ceremony was so amazing. Of course, there was lots of crying. The families were able to tell us about their week and thankfully, I had distributed the tissue boxes among the pews. 

    We had some non-English speaking families who we communicate with through our translators. So when we were hearing from them during the family open mic time, our translator helped us all out. But the moment our translator was silent due to tears, there was not a dry eye in the room. This family is so sweet and I was close to bawling when I heard them say my brother's and roommate's (she and he partnered to serve this family) names. 

    I think the most special thing about this day was finding out that two of the fathers had given their lives to Christ. So many of us STMs were so overcome with joy that the tears just flowing. We gained two new brothers in Christ. 

       Soon, we had to say farewell to our campers and families so that they could go home. Until the next time we may meet again. 

Campus Clean-Up

   Packing up retreat is always harder in August. It is our last retreat for the year. Meaning we have to wait a while to do it all again. I tramped all over campus helping pack up and clean up. The truck was being filled with all of our decorations and gear to be stored until next summer. And we said good bye.

  Home Again

    It is so weird to be back home again. To not need to get up early. To not have programming every day. There is that sense of satisfaction that we had done a job well done. My brother and I only want to talk about camp. We are tired and have laundry to put away. The camp photos will be sent to us hopefully soon, so we can relive and share our favorite moments. Camp is over for the year, but there is still one more JAF event. 

-fin

    I am still a little frazzled from just getting home last night, so this is probably not the best post. But it's the one I have. I am so ecstatic that someone else in my family has experienced this little slice of heaven with me. We are both so excited for next year and I can barely stand to wait. 
    
    Thank you SO much for reading. It means so much to me that you do! Keep an eye out for a post on this site eight days from now (a super easy way to be notified is to follow or subscribe 😉), or for a post four days from now on She Be Fierce 2! If you want to see what I'm up to, you can follow me on  Instagram. I am trying to post more consistently on my Instagram, and am actually ok with posting to my stories. So go check it out!

Until Next Time,
KS

Comments