7 Things I Do To Practice Self Care


7 Things I Do To Practice Self Care

Alright. Back in May, I wrote a piece about survival mode. In that post, I gave a list of things you can do to help you out. Here are a few things I do to stave off survival mode, practice self care, and just treat myself. 

-Do My Nails

    
    I have been stressed out quite a bit lately and have found that doing my nails helps a bunch. I could go into the psychological reasons why it does, but then this section would be 10x longer than it should be. Having my nails done can normally make me feel a bit better. Trick is for me, finding time to paint my nails because normal polish takes forever to dry. My main reasoning behind my Color Street obsession.  


-Pull Something Out of My "Pamper Kit"

    I started a Pamper Kit a few years ago to always have something on hand to "spoil" myself. Like face masks, nice lotions, and such. If you have ever gifted me any sort of spa item, you can bet it probably mad it in here. 

-Light a Candle

    Candles. Just, candles. They come in an endless amount of scents, make the room feel more homey, and fill my need to have fire nearby (In case you couldn't tell, that was a joke). I love to have a candle going in my room. It can feel like it burns away your darker thoughts and anxieties. 

-Journal

    This one is pretty important to me. At the end of a rough day, I always feel the need to journal. Get thoughts out of my head and onto paper.  It helps process everything in my brain so I can sleep better that night. Sounds a bit cliché, but it helps you get to know who you are. Eventually, it can help you develop better self- discipline too.

-Make a Cookie in a Cup

    These are always delicious, easy to make, and fast. The chocolate is melty and it just makes the hard part of the day melt away a bit. They lift my mood quickly and get that need for a cookie filled. I tried a bunch of different recipes and found that No. 2 Pencil's  is the best one. I haven't been able to make it in a while though because my microwave broke. These taste AMAZING and you should really try one! 

-Sketch

   For me, making something can lift my mood. Sketching something for fun is a wonderful way for me to practice self care. It brings me into what feels like a safe space. Drawing thoughts can be interesting and helpful too. I'll do an occasional very emotional drawing and it can give me insight on what I haven't been able to put into words. 

-Listen To Music

    By "listen to music," I mean take an album or playlist and just sit while it plays. Listen to the words or beat of what you're listening to. When I do this, I don't normally do anything else and pretty much force myself to rest. If you know me, you know how hard that can be. I like to keep moving, get things done, and keep moving. Practicing this also forces me to slow down. I'll light a candle, turn down the lights, and start Spotify on my Echo Dot. Then, I lay down and breathe. 

-fin

Those are seven ways I practice self care! I really enjoyed putting this together because it reminded me I haven't done any of these in a while. I hope you enjoyed reading! If you would like, subscribe/follow my blog to get more of this kind (and all sorts) of content!

Until next time,
KS

-have you ever done any of these as a self care activity?
-what are three ways you practice self care?
-when was the last time you did something to treat yourself?

Comments