Cream Filled Sandwich Cookies


So it's nearly December. Christmas parties and family get togethers are quickly approaching. Looking for an easy treat to bring and share? Or maybe just looking to try something new? These are so perfect! I recently made these for a young adult event! 

Every year, my family and I make these cookies for Chistmas. These are easy and quick to make (if you're not doing eight batches at a time) and super delicious! Since I hate when recipes are always AFTER long stories, let's just get into it!

Cream-Filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

The Cookie:
  • 1 pkg. Pillsbury Plus Dark Chocolate Cake Mix (you can substitute, but I dont suggest it)
  • 1/2 c. margarine or butter, melted
  • 1 egg, slightly eaten
The Filling:
  • 2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/4 c. shortening (I know, I know, it's unhealthy, but you're not supposed to have it every day)
  • 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1 egg white
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine all cookie ingredients; mix well. Firmly shape dough into 1" balls. Place 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9-14 minutes or until set.  Cool 1 minute; remove from the cookie sheet. Cool completely.

In another bowl (I use my stand mixer's), combine 1/2 c. of the powdered sugar, shortening, vanilla, and egg white; blend well. Add remaining powdered sugar; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread a heaping teaspoon of filling between 2 cookies; repeat with remaining cookies. Makes 24 sandwich cookies.

These aren't very hard to make, but I've learned a few tricks. First, use mise en place. Mise en place is a French culinary term that means "everything in its place." So just get everything set up and ready to go. That way  you wont be looking for whatever you need in the middle of a step.
The dough will be pretty stiff and firm. Sometimes it'll be shiny other times not. It all depends on how quick you are in mixing the melted butter in. It's fine either way.


I like to use this handy little ice cream scoop to measure out the dough. I can just drop the dough on the pan, then put it in the oven.





And that's it! These are fun to make, and even more fun to eat! 😋 If you make them, let me know in the comments! I want to know how they turned out for you. 

Thanks so much for reading! If you haven't already, consider subscribing and/or following my blog! Maybe even give it a share! I would really appreciate it!

Comments