Years Three


Last year I wrote a piece as a tribute to my grandmother. Today marks our third year without her. It is a bit harder on me this year because I am reaching a really big milestone without her. I'm turning 18 in a couple days. I decided to write another one. Here it is. 

"Years Three"


How long has it been, since you went with the Lord to be?
It's been a few years, exactly three.
Last poem I wrote, I was turning seventeen.
With this one, soon I'll be eighteen.
When I last saw you, I wasn't tall.
I really haven't grown much at all.
I look back on the years I had with you,
And the last three I did not have you.
Many experiences, stories, and works to tell of.
All if I could tell you I would've.
From the zoo to Joni and Friends,
I could tell you it all without ends.
With every cinnamon food I make,
I think of goods that you used to bake.
Whenever I hear a specific hymn,
Or play it at church on my violin,
Tears well in my eyes and I want to cry.
I still sometimes ask God why.
Why I had to lose you.
Why we had to say bye so soon.
I miss the days when I could hold her.
This world got a bit colder.
There is still a place I cannot go,
Because back not long ago,
I stood in that place, that hall,
When on my phone I received a call.
Hearing tears on the other end
as I rounded that one bend.
It was in that moment I knew,
That my family and I had lost you.
And yes I know I'll see you again,
It just hurts to wait till then.
It's been a few years, exactly three,
Since you went with the Lord to be free.


Comments